Minimalism in our Meals

On this journey towards simplifying, living with less and living within our means I have also taken the time to reevaluate the food we eat.  Most of our diet had consisted of eating out at least one to two days a week and then when we did eat at home it wasn't the greatest either.  Our cupboards were cluttered with snack cakes, chips, sodas, etc.  You get the point.  After having about enough of things flying out at me every time I opened the cabinet door, I decided to tackle what was on the shelves.  I started shelf by shelf clearing everything out and cleaning the debris.  I went through and got rid of expired items and also items that weren't adding anything to my family or their health.  Yes, even the snack cakes.  I went ahead and tackled the fridge from there, repeating my strategy from the cabinets.

After putting the items from the keep pile back I noticed there wasn't much there.  Perfect time to make a list of what were some good staple items to add to the cupboards.

I debated between different items and researched healthy recipes until my list was finished and ready for the grocery store.  On my list I tried to stick to the basics that could help me make healthy and cheap meals that would give us plenty of left overs.

Soups!  My new found glory dish.  They are healthy, cost effective, and you can make them in large portions.  I grabbed a few bags of dried pinto beans, split peas, a couple cartons each of stock, and lots of veggies along with some other key items.  Oh! And cornbread.  Also super cheap and delicious.   But as I was shopping I tried to remember less is more.  I stuck to my list and tried to disregard the items that were not on my list, telling myself 'the store wants you to buy this, you don't need it'.

Below are a couple recipe ideas for those of you who are sticking to a budget, simplifying your diets, or who just love a good soup.  Hope you enjoy and I would love to hear your favorite cost effective meals!

Bean Soup

Add 2 pounds soaked pinto beans to a crock pot, add two cartons vegetable or chicken stock, salt, pepper, about five chopped carrots and celery, half an onion.  Leave on high for six to eight hours.

Serve with cornbread.

Split Pea Soup

Add two 1 pound bags of split peas to a crock pot, add two cartons of chicken or vegetable stock, salt and pepper, three chopped red potatoes, five carrots.  Leave on high four to five hours, serve with cornbread.

Both soups make several servings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tea for One

A Journey Towards Minimalism

Are We Designed to Want as Humans?