Home: Where My Heart Is

“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” 
― Edith Sitwell

This quote from Edith Sitwell says it all so perfectly.  Home for me has never felt the way it does now, the way it's portrayed in this quote.  It has never been comforting, or quiet, or filled with friendly hands by the fire.

My current address is just that.  It's warm, it's "home-y", it's quiet when needed, cozy when needing comfort, and fun during get togethers.  My take on my home is of course my opinion, but everyone who visits loves to add in, "It's very home-y here".  I of course take in much delight after hearing those words.  Words that I've wanted to hear most of my adolescent and adult life.  Words that would have reassured me that where I was was safe and secure.  Words that I will share with my children, letting them know that they are home and they are loved.


Sorry to be babbling on about my home state but this post is directed to how I am feeling, and I can't get enough of my new home.  I'm constantly filled with the want to go home, sit on the couch, read a book, make dinner, and snuggle with my fiance.  My feelings about home used to be that having to go home came to soon.  I wanted to stay at school or work longer to better avoid home life.  I felt more anxiety on my drive home than on my drive to work.  Life shouldn't be that way, quite the opposite.


I started reading the introduction to Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin, so I suppose she is the one who inspired this blog post.  She said that when her and her family moved to a new apartment across town, the world shifted along with them, leaving them right in the center of the world.  That is exactly how I feel when I am home.  I feel as if I am at the center of the universe and everything is just standing still when I am at home, cozy under the covers.

Winter has come at just the right time for me this year.  The day after Thanksgiving I was eager to put up a tree that we didn't have.  So K. went tree shopping and brought one home.  We stayed awake 'til two in the morning, which might I add never happens.  We're practically an eighty year old couple, just ask our friends. Here are some of our newly decorated, not quite finished abode.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tea for One

A Journey Towards Minimalism

Are We Designed to Want as Humans?