Let's Unplug

It's been nine days since I decided to take a small hiatus from Facebook, and it's been the most relaxing nine days I've had since I had become a Facebook member. My reasoning behind unplugging from the cyber world wasn't technical, it was spiritual. Last Sunday, I spent in my Bible, which is rare, I hate to admit. That day was filled with reading, organizing, writing, and listening(or trying to). And for that day, I can honestly say my mind wasn't consumed with daydreaming about whether my Facebook posts got likes, or if a friend emailed me back, or if someone accepted my friend request. Which is a great if not refreshing feeling to have. I made a vow that Sunday to take 21 days away from Facebook. Of course, I have still been streaming through Twitter feeds and Instagram, and keeping plugged into my favorite blogs, but just emptying my life of one thing that had consumed my thought process daily has been quite the experience.

When I started this 21 days of being Facebook free I didn't think I would make it to hour three, but I did. I logged out of Facebook on my laptop and on my phone, even though I knew it would still only be taps away, I was ready to take on the challenge. When four days went by I was surprised and proud that Facebook hadn't even crossed my mind. But what had crossed my mind were ideas and sweet thoughts, which are new. From picking up a card just to send sweet words to ideas on new ways to fill my time, different recipes to try, and cute cozies that I wanted to knit, is how I spent the last nine days. Leaving Facebook made that possible and I'm even considering leaving for good! I'm going to take the next 11 days left of my fast and all the days after to grow closer to God, and to learn and to listen.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of social media. I love the connections that are made and friendships that are formed between people who may not have met otherwise. But to unplug and live in the moment with family, friends, and God is a refreshing feeling that I would recommend for anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tea for One

A Journey Towards Minimalism

Are We Designed to Want as Humans?